Four Tips for Eating Healthy and Cost-Efficiently

March 26, 2019

Food is a necessity to live, but it can also be a costly need. The average American family spends over $7,000 on food per year or about 12.5% of their total income. Learning how to lower that percentage, while at the same time, keeping a healthy and satisfying diet is something that not many Americans can pride themselves. Here are some tips that can help you achieve that.

 

1. Eating Out Less

According to the same statistics as before, the average American family spends 57% on the food they’ve prepared at home, while the remaining 43% is dining out. Nevertheless, these percentages only apply to the costs, and not to the number of meals.

By preparing more of your food, yourself, instead of eating out, you could be saving a lot on your meals. Generally, you can cook for an entire family of four at the same price, or cheaper, as you would be paying for two people at a restaurant. The added advantage is that you’ll always know what’s in your food.

On the weekend, some people make it a habit of preparing their meals for the entire week, while others prefer to cook one meal at a time. YouTube and the rest of the internet will provide you with inspiration and ample recipes of varying degrees of difficulty and tastiness. You can also enroll in a cooking class. The benefits will be well worth the investment. 

 

2. The Grocery List

Over the years, supermarkets have developed various techniques for making their customers buy more than they need. Many of these stores don’t have windows (just like casinos), keeping their customers from getting distracted by the outside world.

They also tend to put essential products at the back and have the habit of occasionally rearranging aisles, forcing people to go through the entire store. Big shopping carts are also used to trick people into buying more, and the list can go on. A grocery list can help you avoid these tricks and buy only the items you wanted, in the first place. The secret is to keep to it. 

 

3. The Fridge

The average American fridge has 25 cubic feet, with some models exceeding 30. By comparison, the average European fridge is only around ten cubic feet. The problem with this is that people don’t feel comfortable with an empty-looking fridge and tend to pack it full of food, only to see much of it go rotten in a couple of weeks. 

One estimate by the Natural Resources Defense Council shows that the average American family throws away roughly a quarter of all the food it buys. It is the equivalent of anywhere in between $1,365 to $2,275 annually. A smaller-sized fridge will not only help you curb much of that waste but also take up less room and consume less energy. 

 

4. Happy Hours

If and when you decide to eat out, it’s budget-friendly and wise to get the timing right by searching for happy-hour deals. Two people eating a steak dinner at a high-end restaurant can cost between $150 and $200. But during happy hours, that price tag can be as low as $20 or $30. On average, though, you’ll see a 20 to 50% reduction in price, and it’s a good idea to check around your local area for such deals. 

By using these examples presented here, you will be able to save a lot of money every year, which you can then use to go on your dream vacation, for instance. Illinois Lending Corp is here to help if you need it. If you require a quick loan, contact us directly at 1.877.LOAN.195 or apply online today!

Share on
944

Apply online in minutes and get a quick decision!

We’re dedicated to helping our customers. That’s why we offer easy loan applications,
speedy customer service, no hidden fees, and affordable payments.
Apply Now